BMW India recently joined the ‘Make in India’ initiative by increasing localisation at the Chennai plant by up to 50 %. The company has announced a drop in prices for almost all of their locally assembled models. Price reductions are for the 3 Series, 3 Series GT, 5 Series, X3 and the X5.
The BMW India Plant Chennai started operations on 29 March 2007. Since then, the company has has continuously increased the number of its locally produced car models. Up to eight car models can be locally produced on two assembly lines at BMW Plant Chennai. Presently, the BMW 1 Series, the BMW 3 Series, the BMW 3 Series Gran Turismo, the BMW 5 Series, the BMW 7 Series, the BMW X1, the BMW X3 and the BMW X5 are locally produced at Chennai plant.
Some of the major auto components sourced for local production of cars at BMW Plant Chennai are: Engine and Transmission from Force Motors; Axles from ZF Hero Chassis; Door Panels and Wiring Harness from Draexlmaier India; Exhaust Systems from Tenneco Automotive India; Heating, Ventilating, Air-conditioning and Cooling Modules from Valeo India and Mahle Behr and Seats from Lear India.
Here are the revised prices of the specific models: (ex showroom Delhi and Mumbai)
BMW 3 Series
- 320d (Prestige Edition) – INR 3,490,000
- 320d (Luxury Line Edition) – INR 3,890,000
- 320d (Sport Line Edition) – INR 3,890,000
BMW Gran Turismo
- Gran Turismo (Sport Line) – INR 3,990,000
- Gran Turismo (Luxury Line) – INR 4,290,000
BMW 5 Series
- 520d (Prestige Edition) – INR 4,490,000
- 520d (Prestige Plus Edition) – INR 4,790,000
- 520d (Luxury Line Edition) – INR 4,990,000
- 530d (M Sport) – INR 5,990,000
- X3 xDrive20d (Expedition) – INR 4,690,000
- X3 xDrive20d (xLine) – INR 5,190,000
- X3 xDrive30d (M Sport) – INR 5,990,000
- X5 xDrive30d (Expedition) – INR 6,590,000
- X5 xDrive30d (Design Pure Experience) – INR 6,990,000
- X5 xDrive30d (Design Pure Experience 7 Seater) – INR 7,290,000